- The fifth chakra, Vishuddha meaning; purity or purification. Other names; Kanth Padma (meaning throat lotus), Shodash Dala (meaning sixteen pedals).
- Also called Bharati sthana (goddess of speech), vishuddha is responsible for communication through sound.
- Located at the cervical point (vertebra IV of the spine), vishuddha is associated with the cervical plexus and thyroid gland.
- The fifth chakra is also governed by the planet Mercury, the planet of speaking/articulating electro-magnetic initiating thoughts. As well as the sign Taurus.
16 Lotus Petals of the Vishuddha
Being that this chakra governs speech and expression, the petals hold various mantras and musical notes. The first 9 vrittis are mantras, followed by 7 musical notes.
Each chakra is embedded with qualities called vrittis (whirlpools) which are thought-forms or emotions held within the chakra.
- Pranava (OM)
- Udgitha (Samaveda)
- Hung (Bij Mantra)
- Phat (Bij Mantra)
- Vashat (Mantra)
- Svadha (Mantra)
- Svaha (Mantra)
- Namah (Mantra)
- Amrita (Nectar of Immortality)
Characteristics of the Vishuddha
Maharudra Shiva is the son of Lord Brahma (Virinchi), instantly emerged out (Sadhyojatha) from the center of his eyebrows at the time of creation. Soon after His birth Shiva started crying/roaring fiercely (Roudra) hence called Rudra (Rodanaat-Rudra).
Repeat this Mantra108 times in meditation, Om Namah Shivaya.
Vishuddha Chakra Symptoms of Imbalance
- Throat issues
- Thyroid Issues
- Stiff Neck
- Swollen Glands
- Gum & Tooth Issues
- Hearing Problems
- Issues with Self-Expression
- Rage for holding in feelings
- Excessive Talking
- Not expressing your needs or boundaries
- Tonsil Swelling
Balancing Vishuddha Chakra Energy: Healing Through the Five Senses
Mudra & Mantras
Close your eyes and begin to chant the mantra “OM RAM” for 3 minutes. First out loud for a few rounds, then silently to yourself. While chanting, I would like you to visualize a bright yellow energy penetrating your solar plexus from the front and back of your being. This beautiful yellow light is cleansing and energizing your Manipura chakra into the glowing sunshine bright yellow chakra it is. Also, keep in mind any sensations, colors, pictures or words you might experience, these are all messages from the divine.
If you would like to add some healing sound to your meditation, I have provided some healing root chakra C-tone quartz crystal sound bowl frequencies in my youtube video below. Enjoy!