- The second chakra or sex chakra, Svadhisthana derives it name form Sankrit roots: sva (one’s own) and adisthana (dwelling place, residence.)
- The sacral chakra is the seat of the subconscious mind, ruled by the Moon, emotions and procreation
- This six petal lotus governs creation or creativity.
Six Petals of the Svadhisthana
The Sanskrit Letters on the petals of the lotus are illuminated with white color to signify the life energy within this powerful sacral chakra.
Each chakra is embedded with qualities called vrittis (whirlpools) which are thought-forms or emotions held within the chakra.
Characteristics of the Svadhisthana
Deity: Vishnu, who is the ruler of creation and destruction rules this chakra.
Mantra: OM NAMO NARAYANA
Sacral Chakra Symptoms of Imbalance
- An overactive sacral chakra can cause:
- Emotional overreactions
- Excessive emotional attachment to people or objects; excessive neediness in relationships
- Muscle tension and abdominal cramps
- An energy deficiency in the second chakra can cause:
- Fear of happiness or pleasure, self-sabotage
- Lack of creativity and authenticity
- Low libido
- Pessimism, depression
- Irregular menstrual cycle, urinary or bladder infections
Balancing Chakra Energy: Healing Through the Five Senses
Mudra & Mantras
Close your eyes and begin to chant the mantra “OM VAM” for 3 minutes. First out loud for a few rounds, then silently to yourself. While chanting, I would like you to visualize a bright orange energy into your root chakra. Cleansing and energizing your sacral chakra into the glowing bright orange chakra it is. Also, keep in mind any sensations, colors, pictures or words you might experience, these are all messages from the divine.